Monday, May 30, 2011

I spent the last 3 days in Gergeschdorf/Ungurei (The Fising (Fuss) family village)

Buna dimineata! (Good Morning),

It is early evening here and this morning I just got back from a weekend stay in my families village, Gergeschdorf/Ungurei. It is a paradise and a beautiful little Saxon village about 35km northwest of Hermannstadt/Sibiu. Each town and village has both a Saxon name and a Romanian name. During my stay in Gergeschdorf my friend Robert Hans Schuster who originally came from Gergeschdorf and now lives in Germany helped immensley translating between English, Saxon and Romanian; he was a tremendous help and a very good man. I stayed at his house that he owns in Gergeschdorf and it is simply amazing. Each house has its own garden, well and they make their own Tuica (Plum, or Cherry Brandy) in their backyards along with Wine. The weather was very warm and sunny and I got quite sunburnt as you will see from all the photos. I spent time with the oldest Saxon in the village (Katerina Moldavan) who is 89 and she shared stories of the fising families. There were two Fising familes and because the Saxons always used a nickname for their surname, my families name is Fuss, which in Saxon means Fox; the full nickname is Gebbel Fuss. She said their was a butcher/shop owner Fising family and the piano player(organist) Fising family. Both families are related; however my direct lineage comes from the piano player Fising; even the gypsies in town know of the Fuss (Fising) family! They say that whenever their was need for a party, the piano player would make it happen and that they would sing, dance and drink! I also spent time with 2 other wonderful older Saxons; Hans Johann Lutsch and Maria Lutsch; he was born in 1929 and still gets around just great; they shared with me their home, food and drink; wonderful people. Gergeschdorf is a wonderful place and I want to come back soon, possibly next year? For the next 3 weeks I plan on researching the church records from my family at the large Evangelical (Luthern) Church here in Sibiu and to visit more villages and Saxon Cemetaries. Yesterday I found my Great-Grandmothers grave in Petersdorf/Petresti and it brought me to tears; my family never knew what happened to her I found out she lived until 1964 to the age of 78 which was quite a long time considering the turmoil she had experienced throughout her life. Below is photos with description from my trip.

La Reverde, Pa!

Tom


This is the house I stayed at in Gergschdorf. The car is my Dacia Logan that I rented. There is a back house which is the one I had all to myself.




This is the house I stayed in at the back of the property near the garden.





At night in Gergeschdorf you hear birds constantly as well as in the day, it is simply a paradise and a wonderful place!




View from the 2nd floor balcony of the house, the Saxon cemetery is in the background.



Group of local villagers outside of one of 3 little bars/stores. The Gypsy on the far right side they call the "Bin Laden of Gergeschdorf" because he resembles him so much! LOL The others are looking at photos from my family in Gergeschdorf, they said they thought it was wonderful that I traveled all this way to find my family and its history.



Local village dog who once he warmed up to me was quite friendly and playful. Most of the dogs here whether stray or owned do not trust people because unfortunately the have been treated badly by people...this one was quite friendly however!



The Fuss (Fising) family house that belonged to the local butcher; notice the cows head and the two axes. Saxons would many time put a design on their house that referenced their occupation; many of the houses also have the dates on them in which they were built and their Saxon initials.






Hans Johann Lutsch and Maria Lutch who live in Brasov, however they summer in Gergeschdorf, they are Saxons and speak its unique language which is a combination of German and Dutch. About 900 years ago the Saxons came to Transylvania and settled there. Most have now left and very few remain. It was a pleasure to meet these great people and listen to their many unique stories.






Speaking with Katharina Moldovan who is 89 and has lived in the village from the day of her birth. She is speaking about the Fuss (Fising) family and her recollections of them as a child. She is related to me from her Uncle Johann Fising. She baked a special Saxon cake for us as well, it was wonderful, pastry with onions inside and is glazed with egg, it is called Le Pe.  How wonderful to speak to someone that has been in the village her whole life!





These are traditional Saxon clothes that are hand-embroidered from hand woven yarn and string. The Leather is lamb skin and the fur is rabbit and the inside lining is sheep wool. The Jacket would be worn on Sundays to church in the winter and is from 1876 and the women would create these clothes only in the winter when it was impossible to work in the garden. I felt honored that the Lutsch's shared this history and articles with me!





This is the spot that my Great-Great-Grandmothers house would have stood just above the village. The photo is of the house # 161 in Gergeschdorf before 1930.
Gergeschdorf village Church

Gergeschdorf village Church

Gergeschdorf village Church

Inside the
Gergeschdorf village Church

This marble plaque inside the church has the names of the Saxon men who died in WWI; both my Great-grandfather, Stefan Fising and his brother Michael are listed as well as Stefans brother-in-law Martin Mai whom my grandfather Martin Fising is named after.



The church altar is hand-carved and painted and over 300 years old.



A view from the organ balcony on the 2nd floor.



One of two coffins that I discovered in the old priest's house and that will be used when the remaining Saxons in the village have passed away.

The Church bells, they were made in 1661..the church dates back to the 15th century and has had many renovations throughout time, the bells are the original and were made in Hermanstadt/Sibiu.



Ringing the bells in the old Gergeschdorf Saxon church! Awesome!




Ringing the bells in the old Gergeschdorf Saxon church! Awesome!







Romanian marker in Gergeschdorf that was put up within the last 15 years. It has Johann Fising, Michael and Stefan Fising as well.













My Great-Grandmother Maria Fising's grave, she is buried with her children George, Katherina and her grandson Michael in Petersdorf/Petresti

I will post more tomorrow on my journey!

La revedere! Salut!

Tom

1 comment:

  1. Hi Tom
    Your site and information about Gergeschdorf are excellent. My family, Birthelmer, also comes from there and I'm going in September. How prevelent are English speakers?
    Sandy Birthelmer

    ReplyDelete