Monday, October 7, 2013

Meeting Newly Discovered Family and Conversing with a Priest in Petersdorf

When we left Roberts home in Gergeschdorf Sunday morning we headed to Petersdorf (Petresti) a village just south of Muhlbach (Sebes).

Muhlbach (Sebes) Saxon Evangelical Lutheran Church
 
 
 
The records for my families villages of Petresti and Gergeschdorf are held here

 


My Great-Grandmother Maria Fising (Mai) was married to my Great-Grandfather Stefan Fising.   Maria and Stefan both came to the United States around 1902 and did not know each other even though their villages were just over the hill from each other! They met in Cleveland and were married and had two children, Maria Fising and my Grandfather Martin Fising in 1906 And 1909. Shortly thereafter they moved back to Gergeschdorf (Ungurei) in present day Romania and had a 3rd child Frieda. When World War II broke out Stefan was drafted into the Austro-Hungarian Army. Stefan was shot and would later die of Pneumonia in 1917. My Grandfather Martin and his sister Maria at the ages of 20 and 17 years old would come to America with their Aunt Katherine Fising and never return to Romania. Maria remarried to Johann Mai and had four more children, Johann, George, Michael and Katharina. They family would eventually move to Petersdorf (Petresti).

Saxon Evangelical Lutheran Church in Petersdorf (Petresti) and
traditional haystack in town
 

 

 

On my last trip I discovered that my Great-Grandmother would eventually keep her maiden name of Mai and so would her four other children. During recent research to see if I could track down descendants of her other four children I discovered that her daughter Katherina Mai's children were still alive and one is in Spain and the other in Romania in Petersdorf (Petresti)! All thanks to Facebook and a little work I was able to make contact with their children and eventually nearly ten family members between Spain and Romania. We are 1st and 2nd cousins once and twice removed!

In 1986 I was 14 years old and started my genealogy journey by writing the last know address for my Great Grandmother Maria Fising (Mai) in Petersdorf (Petresti). I received a letter back from Johann Mai who is the son of Maria. I was young and unfortunately never wrote back. But now I have made contact again!

Johann and his family would move to Spain in 2000 to find work as a carpenter and they still live there. I have spoken via the internet to Johann, his wife Ileana and his son Gerhard and daughter Johanna. I will one day visit Spain to meet them in person.

Johann's brother Klaus and his wife Ileana still live in Petersdorf (Pestresti) and have two son's Klaus Jr. and Robert. I had the pleasure of meeting Ileana yesterday and spending time learning about the family. Klaus Sr. is in Italy working as a welder and their son Robert is in High School and traveling with a Saxon dance group in Transylvania. Their son Klaus Jr. is in Pre-Med at the University in Oradea, Romania on his way to becoming a Doctor of Dentistry! I hope to one day meet Klaus Sr. and Jr. as well as Robert.

When Jim and I first arrived in Petersdorf (Petresti) I took him to see my Great-Grandmother Maria Fising's (Mai's) grave. We also visited her daughters Frieda Pfaff (Fising) grave. I discovered since my last trip that Frieda's husband was Andreas Pfaff and that he was a prisoner of war during World War II in Germany. He would eventually move to the USA; whether this was as a prisoner of war or on his own accord I am not sure yet. Many German prisoners of war were sent to camps in the United States after the fall of the Third Reich. Many of them decided to stay in the United States after their release. His son named Andreas Pfaff would eventually come back to Romania and than move on to Germany after the Romanian Revolution.

Old Bell Tower from the former church that dates back several centuries. There is also a fortified defensive wall around the old church and cemetery!
 

 
 
Inside the Old Bell Tower
 



 

 
 
My Great-Grandmother Maria Fising's (Mai's) Grave along with her daughter Katharina Mai, her son George Mai and  his son Michael Mai
 


 
My Great-Aunt Frieda Pfaff's (Fising's) Grave
 

 
Gravestone for Frieda's husband Andreas Pfaff and his son Andreas Pfaff
 


 
 
We next headed to the old Saxon Evangelical Lutheran Church in Petersdorf (Petresti) to attend the end of a church service and hopefully meet Ileana Mai, my 1st cousin Klaus's wife. The active congregation in the church is rare in Romania because most Saxon's left to Germany after the 1989 Romanian Revolution. The Saxons inhabited Transylvania for over 900 years but hardly any now still live there. It is amazing that Klaus and his family stayed and I am thankful to meet them!

Inside the Petersdorf (Petresti) Saxon Church
 



 
Memorial plaque inside the church listing WWI veterans from the village
 

 
Memorial of those that were killed in WWII and deported to prison camps in Russia from
1939 - to 1950. My Great-Grandmother's children George and Michael are listed. Michael was killed in battle on the Eastern front near Sagorja on February 4th, 1944 and his brother George escaped from a prison camp in 1947. Their sister Frieda is not listed but should be because she was in a Russian prison camp and eventually released because she was stricken with malaria.
 

 
The beautiful services held in the church
 
 
 

After the church services Jim and I met Ileana and spoke with other church members and the Priest and his wife. We than headed to Klaus & Ileana's home. I am humbled to be invited into their home and spend time with Ileana.

Ileana Mai and me outside of the Mai house


 
 

Klaus's family still lives in the house that my Great-Grandmother Maria Fising (Mai) lived in! Four generations have lived in that house! Klaus has made wonderful additions to the original house and it is beautiful! I was so honored to be invited inside to converse with Ileana, Klaus's wife and see photographs of Katharina Mai my Great-Great Aunt and learn more about our families. It is interesting that Klaus is a welder and his brother Johan a carpenter because my brothers are all in the trades too, including welding, carpentry and sheet-metal work along with my father being a Millwright. It must be in the blood? They are all great at the work they do!

The house before repair and renovation - Maria Fising (Mai) house
 



 
The house today after Klaus's hard work. The house was enlarged and updated.
A new front to the house was built doubling it's original size!
 









 
Old work barn still on the property

 
The original outhouse. They all have indoor plumbing now.


 

Ileana Mai told me that my Great-Grandmother Maria Fising's (Mai's) son Johann Mai would marry and have six children including Katherina Mai. Katherina married Hans Kaunert and had a child Ralph Kaunert. Katherina and Ralph still live in Germany in Constance near Stuttgart. Back in 1986 I also received a Christmas card from Hans Kaunert during my early research but once again never wrote back. I now know who he was and the family connection. It is wonderful to know know that not only do I have my extended family in the United States but also in Spain, Romania and Germany. I know I will eventually discover more family members soon!

My Great Aunt Katharina Mai (2nd from the left). My grandfathers sister that he never met. On the far left is her son, my cousin Johann Mai along with his wife Ileana and on the far right is my cousin Klaus Mai.
 
 


Johann Mai my Great-Uncle in Germany in the middle. His Son-In-Law Hans Kaunert on the right and Hans's son Ralph on the left.
 

 
Katharina Mai my first cousin in the middle. She is the daughter of my
Great-Uncle Johann Mai. Her husband Hans Kaunert is on the right.
 
 
Katharina Kaunert (Mai) and her husband Hans Kaunert along with their son Ralph Kaunert.
 
 
My 1st cousin Johann and his wife Ileana wedding photo
 

My 1st cousin Klaus and his wife Ileana wedding photo
 
 
We went to lunch at a local restaurant Cafe Simy and had beef stew, bread, salad and a chicken schnitzel. the food was fantastic and having it with family even better!
 


Outside courtyard of Cafe Simy.
 





 

After lunch the Priests wife had invited us to their home and into the Priests workplace. They were gracious hosts and we met their two son's and spoke about the history of Petersdorf (Petresti) and about life as a Priest. We also were able to view photographs of surrounding Saxon village churches.

The Priests home and work area.


 
The Petersdorf Priest and his wife.
 


They used to store wine in the basement cellar. Now this area is used for church services in the winter because the church in Petersdorf like most Saxon churches had no heating.





We visited the War Memorial outside of the Romanian Orthodox Church which lists those deported to Russian prison camps after the end of World War II. Life has been hard for the Transylvanian Saxon's; however, they are a strong people and survived even the worst of conditions.









I was so honored to meet Ileana and be invited into her home! Words cannot express how I feel being able to meet and find out more about my family and it's past. It was a very memorable day for Jim and I both!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment