Sunday, October 13, 2013

Wally the Dog, Deva and the Hunedoara Castle

On the way to Timisoara two days ago as we were pulling away down the sidestreet in Sibiu I saw Wally the dog again. I am 99% sure it is the same dog that was hanging out in the neighborhood two years ago on my last trip here. It is amazing that he is still surviving on the streets here. An old Saxon woman that lives on the corner was feeding him two years ago and maybe that is what has kept him alive. The situation with the dogs here is horrible and I wish I could bring them all home with me, especially old Wally and the little puppy we saw today in Sebes.

Wally the Dog?
 

Playful little street pup in Sebes


 
 
YOU can help! *Romania Animal Rescue*
 
 
When I was looking up my Mai family church records at the Romanian National Archives in Sibiu last week I was told that the remaining records were in Deva, Romania. This struck me as odd because Deva is in a totally different area of Romania than where the village of Pauca (Tornen) is. I asked the archivist and she said the priest took the records with him to Deva and that is why they were located there.
 
When Jim and I arrived at the Romanian National Archives two days ago two gentlemen that spoke no English attempted to assist me in finding the records. They were the nicest guys I have ever met at the National Archives and through my limited Romanian and the geneaology charts that I had they were able to (through many phone calls) locate the records for Pauca (Tornen), (Pronounced "Polka). The records it turns out are held by the Saxon Evangelical Lutheren Church back in Sibiu at what is called the Teutsch House. The men also provided me with the name of the person to speak to and the telephone number. They went out of their way to be of assistance. So I will be going there tomorrow and can hopefully trace my Great-Grandmother's "Mai" lineage back a ways.
 
Romanian National Archives building in Deva, Romania

 
Wax Seals inside the lobby of the Archives. Each city and village
had a wax seal for official purposes.
 


Beautiful churches abound in Romania



On a hilltop in Deva is the remains of an old Castle





Outside of Deva the forests are changing color and in full swing




 Historic Building in Deva


 
The next stop on our agenda was to see Hunedoara Castle just south of Deva. Hunedoura Castle was one of the stops in Jules Verne classic novel, "Around the World in 80 Days"!
 
The Hunyad Castle is its official title is out of this world and it is BIG! The castle was connected to the Hunyadi family of Hungarian Royalty. The castle has been destroyed by fire  five times and each time reconstructed.
 
Me in my Eric Decker Broncos Jersey in front of the castle! 
 


Jim Peters at the castle







Torture chambers and its history in Transylvania!

Just in Time for Halloween!



















Lets Move on Shall We!













John Hunedoura's Sarcophagus





 
These ceramic tile stoves are used throughout Transylvania and hold Heat incredibly well.
 
I want one for back home!













Only intact fireplace left in the castle


Looking up the chimney




























 
Modern artwork that was on display




 
The cabinet and table in the old hunting room are out of this world! Just beautiful!









 
A beautiful stray castle dog...very friendly! The red tag is a rabies tag that the animal control place on all street dogs that have been spayed, neutered and/or had a rabies vaccination



 
Few Last Panorama's of the Castle
 



 


No comments:

Post a Comment