Friday, June 10, 2011

New friends in Sibiu from Cyprus; Romanian Mcdonalds; the price of gas; fender bender in Sibiu rush hour traffic and finding the possible Fising family houses in Gergeschdorf (Ungurei).

It is about 1am here in Sibiu and I just got done spending time with my wonderful new neighbors that are from Cyprus; Patrick and Christalle. They have rented the apartment next to me and I met them outside on the way back from dinner. Patrick is originally from England and Krystalle from Germany; they are now retired and live in the wonderful island nation of Cyprus in the Mediterranean Sea. A delightful couple that shared their Romanian Romulus whiskey, (noticed I used the "ey" Patrick!) and conversation about our experiences in Romania and elswhere. It was a pleasure to meet them both!

On the way back to Sibiu from Gergeschdorf (Ungurei); I hate to admit it, but I stopped at a Mcdonalds! The fries were the same as in America; however the burger tasted completely different...not so good; I will not be stopping there again. I did get this cool Coca-Cola glass though. The meal with burger, fries and a coke cost 20 Lei (7 US dollars); for 38 lei (13 US Dollars at a restaurant in Piata Mare I can get a great steak...I will stick with restaurants...no Mcdonalds anymore!

Oh, by the way gas here costs on average $7.00 to $7.50 US dollars a gallon...don't complain about $3.78 a gallon anymore...Whew! I filled my tank up today and it cost me about $90. US Dollars. Ouch! I am glad that my Dacia Logan gets 35 mpg.

After picking up late lunch at McDonalds I was stuck in Sibiu, Friday rush hour traffic. A car behind me tapped my bumper. Uh Oh! So I got out and thank goodness their was no damage, not even a scratch.

Today I slept in late and it continued to rain, (its still raining now); however, it has lowered the temperature which I like. When I woke up and showered I decided to drive to Gergeschdorf (Ungurei) for a 3rd time and take a look at the addresses that were listed for family members in the Sebes archives and compare them to the map of Gergeschdorf I have. I discovered where my geat-great and great grandfathers home # 12 would have stood; on what they called in 1945, "Gypsy Lane" nothing their anymore except urzicka weeds and trees. the old saxon homes that were in many parts of the village have just disappeared over time through old age and erosion of their mud, stone, brick and wood construction. My great-great and great-grandfathers lived on the street around 1850 - 1890, maybe it was not a "gypsy lane back then? Who knows? The map i referenced is from 1945. Some of the later Fising households still do exist and I have pictures of them below along with  photos of todays journey.

Tom

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The drive from Sibiu to Gergeschdorf, early this afternoon. Fog covering the mountains; appropriate for Transylvania!


The intersection off of E81 (Hwy7) that leads to the villages of Cunta, Spring, Drasov and then Gergeschdorf (Ungurei). The village road is called road 106B. Ungurei is about 35 miles from Sibiu; about the distance from Denver to Castle Rock. I am on 106B and E81 (Hwy 7) is in front of me; to the left is Sibiu and to the right, Sebes and Alba Iulia. it is hell trying to get onto the hwy as you can see all the traffic.






The first village of Cunta on the way to Gergeschdorf (Ungurei) driving towards the Northeast.






The drive along 106B is known as the Drumul Vinilui, "Wine Road", because all the grapes that are grown along the route.



Next village you encounter is Drasov



The final village of Spring before you enter, "the forest" and make your way to Gergeschdorf (Ungurei).




Approaching the forest to Gergeschdorf (Ungurei)...just leaving Spring.






The landscape is so green here...all the rain probably helps!









My Great-Great Grandfather, Stefan Fising and his wife Katharina Stephani, lived at house # 12 in Gergeschdorf (Ungurei) around 1860 to the 1930's according to records. they lived in the house with 4 sons and 2 daughters. There is nothing there now, just weeds, trees and soil.

My Great-Grandfather, also names Stefan Fising and his wife Maria Mai are also listed as living at that address, # 12 from 1880;s to 1917 with 1 son, my grandfather Martin Fising and two daughters, Maria and Frieda.


This is the old muddy road that leads up the hill to where their house may have stood.


The road to the left was called Hinter den Garten (Behind the Garden), and the road to the right is where house #12 may have been located and was called, Zigeunergasse (Gypsy Lane), according to a map from 1945.


Zigeunergasse (Gypsy Lane)



Most likely where the house would have stood..nothing but urzicka weeds now.



Orchard trees that line the property where the house may have stood




My Great-Grandfather, also names Stefan Fising and his wife Maria Mai are also listed as living at that address, # 12 from 1880;s to 1917 with 1 son, my grandfather Martin Fising and two daughters, maria and Frieda.


Here is a close up of the map with # 12 listed on it.





This is the house # 239, which Maria Fising & Martin Roppelt are listed as living in the 1880's



Other potential houses that the Fising family occupied are numbers, 2, 7, 130, 172, 180, 197, 202, 216, 217 and 239















Video of the Northeast end of Gergeschdorf (Ungurei)







No comments:

Post a Comment