Thursday, June 2, 2011

Trip to Sebes & Gergeschdorf / Ungurei, Romanian Highways, Sheep, Cows & Horses

I drove to Sebes today to finish my archival research on my family; however, when I arrived I found the archives were closed today because this is the day they celebrate the accension of Christ into Heaven, so I will go tomorrow on Friday they should be open. I drove back to Gergeschdorf /Ungurei and met with the bar owner there and had a beer before heading back to Sibiu. I filled a water bottle with spring water from Gergeschdorf so my family can taste their village water when I get back home. I shot video on my journey today as well as photos you will see below.


The crazy Romanian roads...lots and lots of trucks and only two lanes, a lot different than America!


The drive to Sebes through the Romanian Countryside! Frumos! (Beautiful)




Romanian city train




Sebes downtown; notice the Communist style concrete apartment building that Ceascu put up.



  You see local women dressed like this all over the more rural villages and towns


Sebes Evangelical (Saxon) Luthern Church








The dog is tied up outside the church...apparently he looks after the building. Rau Caine (angry dog)


Driving through Drasov



Romanian Orthodox Church in Drasov



The bumpy road through Drasov on the way to Spring than Gergeschdorf/Ungurei.



The local bar in Gergeschdorf / Ungurei...seems like the same gypsys and locals at the bar as there were this weekend. Bin Laden of Gergeschdorf was their again too and Hans the bar owner took me to see his "party" weekend cabana on the edge of town.









Every kilometer these stone obolisks tell you how far it is to the next village...guess these are Romanian mile markers


Village sheep out to pasture...it is hard to see but the shepard is sleeping in the middle of the flock...no fences anywhere!




Romanian Orthodox church (Biserica) in Presaca... very old and cool religious murals at the entry way.












Natural spring that is piped down from the hill overlooking Gergeschdorf / Ungurei...My water bottle being filled with Gergeschdorf Apu (water). Old houses in Gergeschdorf.










Horses, cows, dogs and people in the hinterlands around Gergeschdorf.













5 comments:

  1. The countryside is beautiful and I have a feeling the houses look the same as when my Grandmother lived there. Gram was always in a dress too , much like the ladies you photographed and, she always wore an apron. I wish I was there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Die Bilder aus Gergeschdorf weckten Erinnerungen an meinen Vater und aus diesem Grunde werde ich eventuell im Sommer 2014 den Ort besuchen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. es ist ein schönes kleines Dorf und meine Familie ist mir zu Hause als auch senden Sie Ihre E-Mail und ich werde Sie in Kontakt mit jemandem im Dorf setzen. snoopymonroe@me.com

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete