Thursday, June 9, 2011

Trying to dry Laundry while its raining, dicovering lots of relatives, and ASTRA Ethnographic Park.

Today I went to the ASTRA Ethnographic Park which is just on the South end of Sibiu; it is a collection of buildings and and other structures from around Romania that showcase their unique architectural and design aspects. It was a nice walk around the park for about 2 hours. Pretty cool buildings. Check out the pics below.

I washed some clothes in the kitchen sink late this afternoon and then fell asleep; when I woke up at about 5:30pm it was raining cats & dogs (mostly dogs), so I cannot really dry them.Ugh! I went to the dry cleaners this morning and they said I would not get clothes back till Monday, so i figured it was faster to wash them myself. At least now I have a better idea what to pack for a trip like this and what to leaave at home.

So yesterday I made it to Sebes and the archivist Ms. Mollnar was in and I looked at 2 out of 3 Gergeschdorf (Ungurei) Books; according to her records there are no Fisings in the 3rd book which covers the 1940's to 55 when the last church record was kept. She is recovering from foot surgery so I could only spend 3 hours there; it took me that time to go through the first 2 books; they covered 1835 to 1940; they were much easier to read and kept more nicely than the older pre 1835 records in Sibiu. Now I have to connect all the dots...easier said than done. I did discover that my grandfather and great aunt had a sister and brother that they never talked about that was born in Hermannstadt (Sibiu) 1913 and whose names were Frieda & Johann. I also discovered the death date for my Great-Grandfather in WWI as well. When I get back to the states I will have to get a big piece of butcher paper and try to connect all the Fising's that
I discovered on a big tree; it is going to take some time.

I picked up some Romanian honey at a roadside stand from a farmer a couple of days ago, pretty good stuff! They are known throughout Europe for their fantastic honey. I also purchased some fresh goat cheese..great stuff with bread, tomatos and Sibiu Salami!

Below are a few pictures of the Gergeschdorf Book on families; my closest Fising relatives; including my Grandfather, Great, Grandfather and Great-Great Grandfathers records. I also included pictures of the ASTRA Ethnographic Park.

Tom

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good Luck drying laundry in this weather; however, I do like it because it is much cooler now...looks like it will be in the mid-70's for the rest of my trip rather than 80 to 85 degrees farenheit...much nicer. It has been quite warm here lately; I prefer it on the cooler side.




Alternative to the clothes line! LOL!



Photos from the old Gergeschdorf (Ungurei) Church record books.





My Great-Great Grandfather Stefan Fising and his
wife and their children, including my Great-Grandfather Stefan Fising



My Great-Grandfather, Stefan Fising and his wife and children; including my Grandfather Martin Fising



A later entry revealed that my grandfather martin had a sister, Frieda and later from a second marriage after their father died in WWI a brother named Johann. He never talked about them.






I stopped by three village cemeterys on the way back to Sibiu and found possible realtives. The closest possibility was this gravestone of Fisings in Apoldu de Sus - (Großpold ) which is just Northwest of Sibiu.








ASTRA Ethnographic Museum - The cool thing about this park is these buildings were actually taken from areas throughout Romania and are authentic structures, some quite old.





I would love to have a house like this...Cool!



While I was in this old wooden Church the caretaker came in and scolded me for taking pictures. Ooops! but here they are...At the church later there was no problem...the iconography in orthodox religions is just beautiful...these are all original icons and very, very old.




I really like this little house too!


Throughout the park are wooden sculptures; almost like totems; however, some of the art seems a little odd for a park that has tons of school children visit each day. You will see what I mean in just a bit.

This cross is cool!



This is a water-driven large stone hammer..very cool engineering!


You can see here how the walls of these structures are constructed before the mud is added. I want to build one of these!



Another awesome church!












You see these roadside Romanian Orthodox religious sites that you can stop at and pray and show devotion. They are everywhere along the highways and in villages and towns. Each one usually has just a cross and sometimes religious icons in them.




The construction of these roofs are incredible and beautiful!













A cute stray that I came across...I tell you what if i was a stray I would be hanging out in this park too!


All he wanted is his belly scratched...the poor guy looked half starved though and his coat was all matted and he had bad sores...probably does not have too much longer; however, he did seem quite relaxed and content. I bought dog snacks at the store yesterday, but damn it, I forgot them. :-(


A beautiful cool looking bird; maybe a type of woodpecker, I do not know.




I hope that is his legs...Oh My!



In the remote villages it seems that the gypsys paint their houses this blue color..I could be wrong...just a obseervation...it is a pretty blue though.




This was pretty cool, a hand-made wooden ferris wheel! that rocks; I want one!



I was suprised to see this at the exit; regardless of your views it is an interesting piece of art though.




The last wooden sculpture in the park took someone a lot of work...very cool!











1 comment: